Monday, November 26, 2012

Mavic R-SYS SL 2012



Before I go to the actual review please see my rider profile below:


Rider Profile

  • Start riding: 2010
  • Type of riding: Commuting from/to home/work around ~60km a day, endurance and century riding on the weekend.
  • Speed: Slow-moderate 24-28kmh flats, 32-35kmh sprint and peloton riding, 14-16kmh climbing.
  • Road condition: Bike path, rough surface and rarely smooth with a lot of tree drops and branches especially during winter and wet season.
  • Climb condition: Short climb less than a kilometer with 2-14% gradient.
  • Age: 29
  • Height: 170cm
  • Weight: 74kg
  • Bikes ridden: Giant CRX-3, Giant TCR Advanced 1 & 2 2010, Merida Reacto 909 2011, Specialized Roubaix S-Works SL3 2011.
  • Riding goal: Fitness, endurance riding.
  • Profession: Website and SharePoint developer and consultant. I carry my laptop everywhere.
  • Location: Perth, Western Australia.
  • Sex: Male

Mavic R-SYS SL 2012 Review

I bought this wheelset as a replacement for my Shimano Dura-Ace C35 wheelset and yes, to be honest with you, the main reasons why I bought this wheelset were:
1. I thought I can go faster especially on climbs.
2. Want VS need.

A lot of people (including fellow riders in forums) have said to me that for the speed that I ride on, I won't see much advantage in changing the wheels. You know what? They're right!

Speed-wise I actually go slower on this wheelset! This wheelset is definitely a lot less aero on flats compared to my Dura-Ace C35. How do I know? I can feel it. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but my very first impression on riding on this, the wind drag is so huge. Even at slow speed I can tell the difference. The difference is that much which an amateur, slow rider like me can even tell.

Climbing is also the same. I don't feel any easier than my DA C35. Maybe it's the aero disadvantage that causes it? This wheelset is around 300gr less than the DA C35 in weight but somehow I don't feel any advantage out of it.

The only advantage that I get from this wheelset is: IT'S SUPER COMFORTABLE. Let me re-iterate, IT'S SUPER COMFORTABLE. Man.....at slow speed especially, this wheelset truly soaks up bumps and road vibrations. At the exact same route that I take everyday to work, on my DA C35, I have to stand whenever I see bumps on the road but with this, I can just sit all day long and I still feel fine.

Braking surface is also very good. It's alloy and even in rain, it still brakes perfectly.

Under head, side and yaw wind this wheelset is also very stable. It's as stable as my DA C35.

Conclusion

Do I love this wheelset? Absolutely! Since I now go slower on this, it motivates me to even train harder to reach the same speed I used to reach with my C35.

Is this an all-rounder wheelset? I would say yes. The comfort is what I wouldn't trade it for anything with. As I love doing centuries, I think this wheelset suits me better.

If you're looking for comfort for long riding, this is for you.

If you're looking for speed and you mostly ride on flats with smooth surface, this may not be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment