Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Chinese Frame Chinarello (Fake Pinarello) Build and Review Part 2 - The Build

INTRODUCTION

This article is a series:
- Part 1 - http://mycyclingjournal.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/chinarello-build-part-1-unboxing.html
- Part 3 - First Ride - http://mycyclingjournal.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/chinarello-fake-pinarello-build-and.html

As mentioned to some people already, I get an LBS to build my bike as I'm not a bike mechanic. So finally the bike is fully built! I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks and there was a bit of drama happening.

Anyway, before I go to the actual build process let me tell you the parts I was buying for the build:

FRAME:
Chinarello - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale-2012-Pinarello-new-aero-Dogma2-white-black-red-full-carbon-Road-bike-Bicycle-Frame-fork/486623660.html
USD$615 (~AUD$600)

WHEELS:
Chinarello Carbon (Pair) - http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/204989547.html
USD$528 (~$AUD$500)

COMPONENTS: SRAM Red 2012 Black bought off Ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181017863599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
AUD$1530

HANDLEBAR: ChainReactionCycles.com
1 Pro-Lite Abductor Carbon Handlebars - 31.8mm - 42cm - Carbon/Black
66.66 AUD

STEM: ChainReactionCycles.com
1 Controltech Estro Scandium Road Stem - 100mm +/-5 Deg 1.1/8" 31.8mm
77.31 AUD

SADDLE: ChainReactionCycles.com
1 Selle Italia X1 Flow Saddle - Black/Yellow - Alloy Rails
19.98 AUD

BRAKE PADS: ChainReactionCycles.com
1 Fast Forward Carbon Specific BrakePads - 2 Pairs - Shimano
Unit Price: 47.98 AUD

BAR TAPE: ChainReactionCycles.com 
1 Lizard Skins DSP Bar Tape - Yellow
33.31 AUD

TYRES: ChainReactionCycles.com
2 Michelin Pro 4 Endurance Tyre - 700 x 23C Folding Yellow
87.96 AUD

BUILD SERVICE: AUD$150

TOTAL: AUD$3113.2


HURDLES and OBSTACLES
My LBS mentioned to me initially that the BB was Italian and not English although the website mentioned English. I even emailed Jerry Wang and he also said English. It ended up being the LBS overlooked it and not paying attention to detail. I forgave them as it's the end of the year and they get very-very busy plus the owner of the LBS (who built my bike) has been quiet well known in Perth for his excellent reputation. So a bit of delay is not a problem for me. Therefore everyone, BB IS ENGLISH

Someone asked me about the number of rivets for the front derailleurs, the frame had 2 holes.

The frame didn't come with any steerer spacers so LBS put some original Pinarello spacers.

Other than that everything else worked seamlessly and LBS didn't find any other problem building it. 

HOW IT LOOKS

I have not been able to take the bike home on the day I wrote this article because LBS still needs to cut the fork residual (see pics) but tomorrow it will all be ready and I'm going to take my baby home.

My plan for testing is to:
- Commute ~60km on Friday the 15th (reasonably flat)
- 100km ride on Saturday the 16th (reasonably flat)
- 40km hilly 7-11% gradient on Sunday the 17th

And I will then report to you how it performs. Other than that, please enjoy the pics below. 






Tommy

8 comments:

  1. I'm curious how it rides compared to your Roubaix SL3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy seat height but otherwise looks ace, GK say mine is shipping this week, so far 23 days post order, hope they send soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'll be riding it tomorrow.

    Btw I got banned from Roadbikereview.com with the reason: too many counterfeit posts?

    I tried to look in their Terms and Conditions and nothing mention anything about it. And they ban me forever which I think is a bit harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed though I think it may have to do more with you posting the juicy bits on your own blog rather than on their site. They're a conniving bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pah, what a croc of cack. Oh well I'll just post up my build on Velobuild.com instead. I have tracking info now so should be here soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright guys, I've done my initial ride. Check this out:

    http://mycyclingjournal.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/chinarello-fake-pinarello-build-and.html

    I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s really great to post my comments on such a blog. I would like to appreciate the great work done by the web master and would like to tell everyone that they should post their interesting comments and should make this blog interesting. Once again I would like to say keep it up to blog owner!!!!
    chinese carbon wheels

    ReplyDelete